January 8, 2019 3:47 pm
The holidays are over and it is a new year. There is no better time to create new resolutions. Dr. Yvette Cressey from Saltzer Medical Group gives us some simple tips on how to make health a priority for us in 2019.
Dr Cressey’s health tips:
- Wash your hands often, especially if you’ve been touching surfaces where many people have been.
- Get enough sleep
- Use sunscreen
- Try to take a 30 minute walk each day
- Get your flu shot
- Don’t talk on your phone or text while driving
- Foster a positive mindset
Washing your hands is one of the easiest things a person can do to keep safe from pathogens. Use warm water and soap and wash for at least 20 seconds.
January and February is peak flu season. It is never too late to get your flu vaccination. Contact Saltzer Medical Group for a location closest to you. The flu season lasts all the way into May so a flu shot now will give you plenty of time to acquire an immunity.
Everyone should be visiting the doctor annual for checkups. The beginning of the year is the perfect time to start this annual cycle of visits. The variety of test you can receive varies slightly from gender to age.
Make sure you are current with vaccinations and tests for your age
- Mammograms, prostate screening, colonoscopies, etc.
- Between 9-45 years old: Ask about HPV vaccine
- At age 65: Ask about vaccines against shingles and pneumonia
It’s a new year and new start. Let’s get it all under way.
Categorised in: Monthly Features